Tuesday 8 January 2013

Crochet and empowerment

I have spend most of December traveling as part of my job. First to Burundi and then to Bangladesh. So I haven't had much time to crochet or blog, but as a surprise I met the crochet needle repeatedly...  Both projects i visited focus on empowerment of rural and marginalised women and had established women groups in the villages where the members meet each week to be taught and discuss different issues and start up income generating activities. Many members have recieved training in embrodery, sewing or crocheting and they where all very eager to show me what they have learnt. What strikes me during my visits was that for them it is not just a hobby as it is for me...For them it is much much more! These skills can generate income and mean that the women can actually earn her own money...which is very rare in both countries. The women was not just proud of their hand made products but of being able to contribute financially to their family, which further gave them a new role in the family... isn't that amazing?!...Just think, what a crochet needle or a sewing machine can do!!

Below is a picture of a display the women made for me to show the different things they have learnt to crochet or sew... They were so proud that i have to share it with you :)


No comments:

Post a Comment